Website building is not as easy as it used to be. Besides design, layout, and navigation, developers and site owners also have to comply with the cookie policies and the EU Cookie Regulations that are part of GDPR legislation.
WordPress is one of the most popular open-source content management systems. It features a broad plugin architecture, which makes it difficult for many developers to choose the best WordPress cookie plugins. This short guide should make it easier for you to pick the best cookie mechanisms that comply with GDPR.
What are cookies?
Cookies are simple format data files that collect information about a user’s behavior and preferences when visiting a website. They automatically download on the users’ devices with their consent, and they enable a seamless user experience for returning visitors.
What are the EU Cookie Regulations for websites?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is the legislation directive for European Union residents and users. It ensures that websites protect the online privacy of their users and it states what type of information they can collect and what they are allowed to do with it. Generally, sites need the consent of their visitors to collect tracking cookies.
Cookiebot is a cloud-driven mechanism that helps websites comply with GDPR legislation. It is a safe and easy solution for controlling cookies and trackers while allowing users to opt-out of certain forms of tracking.
This software-as-a-service tool ensures GDPR cookie compliance. So, website owners and developers from the European Union can rely on it to guarantee data and privacy protection for their users.
Cookiebot provides some of the best support features and tools out of all the cookie checkers out there. It comes with active consent, well-defined granularity and the option to deny consent. It audits cookies every month, and it lets users know which of them are being used regularly. Some of its most relevant features include:
- A customizable consent banner
- A “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” link for end-users
- Automatic cookie blocking
- Support for 45 different languages
- Secure storage of user consents in a cloud-driven directory
Cookie Law Info
This WordPress plugin lets you modify colors, fonts and other features as well as its behavior when the visitor interacts with it. Additionally, it uses implied consent and it aims to diminish visitor abandonment rate. Other features include:
- A cookie audit module
- The option to place cookies in various places on the page
- An optional show again tab that restores access to the cookie preferences
EU Cookie Law
This plugin is highly customizable and it lets you lock the script before the user’s acceptance. It comes with ready-made solutions for frames, scripts, and objects. Additionally, it offers:
- A complete set of PHP functions and developers shortcodes
- A certificate for WPML
- The option to set an expiry date for the cookies
Italy Cookie Choices
This plugin abides by both the Italian regulations and the GDPR regarding cookies. It lets you block third-party cookies and the option to:
- Display the cookie banner in front-end
- Customize URLs and text buttons
- Customize content and HTML tags
- The option to set cookie duration
- The option to update cookie version
- Three positioning options for the cookie banners